Journey so far

I am sharing my 11 year of technical journey so far. I came to this industry when Flash was leading the game from front. I used to write code in Actionscript and generally do a comparison with Java folks about AS and JAVA similarities. At that time i was writing more of e-learning games/courses in Flash. 

But then Adobe moved to Flex with more focus to web development. It was a smooth transition for us as we were using same scripting language (AS3) in Flex also. We started learning Flex and chanting the advantages of Flex over JSP/JSF and other server side frontend tooling.  I did couple of mid size projects in Flex and then there was a harsh cold wave came from Adobe, they discontinued their development in Flex and donated it to open source community. I felt like a disown child in web ecosystem. Those days were very dark and silenced. I was blaming myself for not choosing Java/ASP as technology option in starting of my carrier. But you can't go back in past and change your decision, so i though let's re-think about future and accordingly act in present. 

I though lets give a try to HTML and JavaScript but these were not mine favorite at that time as Javascript was used mainly doing validations/API calls at that time. I learnt OOP programming in Flex and was enjoying writing code in AS3 but then World was pushing me back to do procedural programming in Javascript. 

It was hard for any Adobe developers because at that time there were very limited or no application in market which were running like a single page application. In Flex, we tend to do programming using a common shell architecture through which we didn't pay more attention to state management, navigation, and performance. But now its HTML world, you need to learn multi page programming paradigm with the cons of dynamic type language. 

So, I started researching again for next HTML5 frameworks, we considered Dojo, Yui, ExtJS & other famous libraries of 2013.Lately we zeroed in to ExtJs JS as it was best suited for our style of programming, i.e SPA. Although it was not opensource but it sound very similar to Flex with regards to big Component library, extensive documentation, server side interfaces, and active support.

We created big application framework on top of ExtJS to support our organization need and ported multiple big Analytical dashboard applications over it.  I was feeling very honored and complete as i have excel the new technology world and now i can do more extensive development in future. But earth never stops moving around the sun so does our technology.

Suddenly, there were so many new standards, API's, Framework got available in the market and it appeared to me that my last day stuff is almost obsoleted. AngularJs, React, Backbone, Polymer, etc shook the industry like a thunder storm. They all were open source and supported by big industry leaders. I though ExtJs will still holds its advantages in the market, but i was wrong in thinking that. Sencha, the parent company of ExtJs start losing their charm of creating SPA because these new leaders are more complete, robust and powerful in writing SPA.

Now, there is one more time i am doing a research over these new technologies. I factored in React, Angular and Polymer for my next Generation projects. Will share my details after i complete my analysis.

Till then Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MicroFrontends

Frontend State Management

Push over HTTP